Japanese market Case Study
In the Japanese market, Sony took the number one share in units shipped for the first time in four years and eight months.
This achievement reflected customer appreciation of the excellent sound quality and user-friendly digital music players, as Nell as consumer acceptance of its diverse product lineup including the hit [email protected] S series with stand-alone speakers, and the new [email protected] W series, Inch is a one-piece music player with built-in headphones, PC’S * In April 2010, Sony implemented organizational changes within its PC business in order to strengthen operations.
The AVIVA Business Group, which is responsible for the headquarters functions of the PC business, was moved to the site of Sony EMCEES Corporation Angina ETC, which already hosts PC design, operations and manufacturing. With this move, everything from PC product planning to manufacturing occurs in one place, leading to strengthened collaboration and a more efficient structure that will support efforts to accelerate business growth. SAME * In 2009, Sony launched a new slimmer, attractively priced [email protected] (SSW) computer entertainment system in markets around the world. Sony will work to rather expand its lineup of packaged software for the platform, as well as aggressively develop network services and content, thereby enhancing the distinctive entertainment experience SSP provides. SONY ERICSON * Guided by new president Bert Unordered, Sony Ericson commenced shipments of Experts XII, its first Android-powered communications entertainment device featuring such signature applications as Timescales and Immediacies as well as visa’s, a beautifully designed touch screen Simian phone.
Both Expert XII and visa have enjoyed a positive reception from customers around the world. Sony Erection’s focus will continue to be on returning to profitability on an annual basis, through continued transformation of its product portfolio to target mid- to high-end open operating system based models and by providing the consumer a superior user experience. SONY PICTURES * Sony Pictures Entertainment continues to be a leader in the development, production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming and online entertainment globally. One of the most exciting opportunities for content development and growth across the entertainment industry is AD. Sony Pictures is uniquely positioned as part of the Sony Group to succeed in this exciting area. The studio has an established track record in AD production, AD visual effects and motion picture releasing.
* Sony Pictures Television (SPOT) had a successful year expanding its portfolio of leading international channels and continuing a strong U. S. Programming lineup.
SONY MUSIC * Sonny’s music business consists of Sony Music Entertainment (SEEM), which operates worldwide outside of Japan, and Sony Music Entertainment Pan) Inc. * Game’s continuing dedication to great artistry also yielded strong sales SIMMS) room Beyond©, the Glee franchise, Whitney Houston, Eek$ha, Alicia Keys, Kings of Leon, Leona Lewis, Maxwell, P! Ink, Sad and Carrie Underworld. Sony Corporation Overview * Sony corporation is a multi-billion company that is based in Tokyo, Japan.
It is mostly involved in manufacturing of electronics, video, communications, video game consoles and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. * Moreover, this corporation has been involved in consumer electronics since the end of the world war 2, with their vast experienced and their involvement in the market has developed the company into one of the world’s biggest ND richest companies. Sony Electronics Inc. * One of the biggest subsidiaries of Sony Corporation of America, due to its role as US Sony based electronics and entertainment involvement. The Sony Electronics headquarters is based in San Diego.
* In Europe, Sonny’s consumer electronics products and services are marketed through 19 sales subsidiaries including Sony United Kingdom Limited, Sony Deutsche, and Sony France. Sales of professional electronics products, electronic components, and services are made through several divisions, differentiated by product, covering all of Europe. * Sony s engaged in the development, design, manufacture, and sale of various kinds of electronic equipment, instruments, and devices for consumer and professional markets in the “Electronics” business.
Manufacturing * Their principal manufacturing facilities are located in Japan, the U. S. Mexico, Europe, and many Asia countries.
* Sony are integrated manufacturers in that they have developed the skills and capabilities that inclined to do everything in- house, from their design of the device to the fabrication of integrated circuits. * To relieve pressure on their manufacturing capacity, they have also often subcontracted mom of their manufacturing work to the electronic contract manufacturers (Seems) Nile retaining control over the bulk of the manufacturing and distribution work.
MISSION Japanese electronics giant, Sony, has changed its mission statement several times in its history. Previously, Sonny’s mission statement was, “Become the company most known tort changing the world-wide poor-quail image to Japanese products ” According to the 2009 annual report, their mission statement is “To become a leading global provider of networked consumer electronics, entertainment and services. Their mission is not published in sass’s annual report.
VISION * Their vision is about innovation, welcome new thinking and new ideas. * Their campaign of “make. Live” reflects Sonny’s ability to turn ideas into reality and, more importantly, to help consumers turn their own ideas into reality?as we believe that anything you can imagine, you can make real. * Sony aims to inspire consumers around the world with innovation and fun through their unique combination of technology and entertainment based on their electronics, game, motion picture, music, mobile phone and network services businesses. FINANCIAL OVERVIEW * Operating income of *31.
8 billion was achieved, compared to an operating loss in the previous fiscal year. The Financial Services segment and the Consumer Products & Devices segment?in particular, LCD televisions?contributed to the improvement in operating results year-on-year. * Cash flow from operating and Investing activities combined was positive and exceeded *billion excluding the Financial Services segment’s activities Sales and operating revenue falls from 8. 9 trillion to 7. 7 from 2008 to 2009.
And 7. 2 in 2010. * The operating income for 2008 was 475. Billion yen but in 2009 there was a loss 227. 8 million yen.
Even though in 2010, the sales was lower than 2009, there was an operating income of 213. 4 million yen. This was done through reducing headcount and closing or consolidating 11 manufacturing sites worldwide. They have a target of cost reduction of 330 billion yen group wide and they achieved and beat the target. They reduce their procurement cost by 20% which is nearly 500 billion yen.
* This graph shows that they have positive cash flow from operating activities in 2008, 2009 and 2010. But negative cash flow from investing activities. They have invested huge amount of money on capital investment in 2008 and 2009. According to annual report 2010, the improvement in cash flow is because, they aggressively managed their inventory and account receivable and payable. Improvement efforts * Since 1976, Sony has had an Environmental Conference. Sonny’s policies address their effects on global warming, the environment, and resources.
* They are taking steps to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases that they put out as well as regulating the products they get from their suppliers in a process that they call * Sony has said that they have signed on to have about 75 green procurement”. Recent of their Sony Building running on geothermal power. * The “Sony Take Back Recycling Program” allows consumers to recycle the electronics products that they buy from Sony by taking them to cycle (Recycling) drop-off points around the * The company NAS also developed a battery that runs on sugars and carbohydrates that works similarly to the way living creatures work. This is the most powerful small battery to date.