Case study Hotel Organization
Our main goal is improved to knowledge the functioning of the departments responsible of dividing moms and F&B, especially on check-out and order making processes . We decided to concentrate on this aspects of operations of that hotel, creating on that the second objective of our project.
In order to meet our objectives we have proposed several hypotheses.
Each objective has its own hypothesis. Therefore they are split once again into the two departments Front Office hypothesis If the Front Office department does perform correctly the Check-out process, which will be consequences for their department?
If the Front Office department does NOT perform correctly the Check-out process, which will be consequences for their apartment? F&B hypothesis & Beverage department does perform correctly ten order, wanly will nave consequences for their department? If the Food & Beverage department does not perform correctly the order, which will have consequences for their department? Methodology For comply with our objectives, we have done an interview with the heads of departments we are analyzing.
Based on the information obtained, we performed a detailed study of the processes and operation of those departments.
In addition have made a search to find out how must be do the work in these two apartments following the theoretical standards, and thus be able compare the theory with practice in real life. For this search we used different sources of information: books information about the service, books information about the Front office department and other papers on the topics to add to the viability of the research paper.
We will create this section to explain the choices and possible outcomes of this research in our selected departments. The theoretical framework is a structure that can hold or support a theory of a research study. It introduces a theory and describes he theory UN which explains why the research problem under the case exists and how is tried to solved.
Theory and purpose of check-out Check-out is part of the final stage of the guest cycle. The services and activities of departure stage are primarily furnished by a front office employee.
Before leaving the hotel, the guest will generally stop at the front desk to review his or her folio, pay any outstanding account balance, review a receipt of account statement and return the room key. The check-out process accomplish three important functions:
- Settles guest account balances
- Updates room status information
- Creates guest history records
Most front offices require a guest to specify an eventual method of settlement at registration. This means that the front office will know the guest’s credit card or direct billing information before he or she arrives at the desk to check out. Such notification allows the front office to verify and authorize a credit card account or confirm the direct billing in advance of settlement.
Pre-settlement verification activities reduce the guest’s check-out time. Effective front office operations depend on accurate room status information. When he client checks out and settles his account balances, front agent performs several Important asks RSI o a ten agent changes guests room status Trot occupied to on-change on the room status report. That term means that the guest has left the hotel and housekeeping department can clean his room.
The hotel can better understand its clientele and determine guest trends when it maintains a guest history file – a collection of personal and financial data about guests.
The front office must create guest history files from expired registration cards or through information systems which automatically direct the check-out information not a guest history data base. Guest historic files provide a powerful data base for strategic marketing. Check-out can be a pleasant experience when the front office is well-prepared and organized.
The final phase of guest cycle involves several steps:
- Checking for mail and messages
- Posting outstanding charges
- Verifying account information
- Inquiring about additional recent charges
- Presenting the guest folio
- Verifying the method of payment
- Processing the account payment
- Securing the room key
- Updating the room status
Check out gives the hotel opportunity to make a positive impression on the guest. The guest approaching the front desk should be greeted promptly and courteously. Are different types of check-out.
Late check out occurs when the guest don’t leave the room in the hotel’s posted check out time. Some hotels authorize the front desk to charge the late check-out fees. Express check-out occurs when the guest wants to leave the hotel before hotel’s posted check-out time. The guest must notify that will do De express check out and also must to notify to the front desk any change in departure plans. The express check-out intended reduce the check-out time in prime check-out period and reduce also front office traffic.
Self check out is processing by accessing self check out terminals in lobby or by using an in-room system. The self check out terminals and in room systems are interfaced with the front office computer and are intended to reduce the check out time and front office traffic.
Theory and purpose of taking order
The order is the documented support which specifies the products that the customer orders Ana Tanat ten person responsible Tort ten service making written. I Nils document have to specify clearly and legibly, all the necessary data. At time of take note of the order, have to be followed the protocol standards. These rules say we have to serve in order of age, from high to low, and first ladies and men after.
After taking the order, remove the cards and give thanks to the customer. Their role is essential in the presentation of the service for two reasons: first to satisfy the desires of the client and the second because it is a core document in the billing process.
- The order will be made by triplicate. The original and two copies.
- The original is for the kitchen department, which we provide the product.
- The first copy is the comment that we provide to billing department.
- He second copy is held by the waiter so that he can know at any time what the client has ordered.
- Suite: That means continuation. It’s the order that you realize when the clients order more products after the first order. Also when more clients are added to a table already begun.
- Retort: That means devolution.
It is made to return a product for another one or nothing.
Other types of orders:
- Dessert order: It’s done when you have collected the main courses, bread and combos.
- Beverage order: Written by the sommelier before the meal. Bar order: bar corresponds to the department. E offer snacks or after the coffees.
- Order characteristics: On top of the order must be filled with the following data: date, number of guests, table number, name of waiter and room number.
Having different types of service, must be included if carte or menu. Products requested will be separate and distinct groups.
The product is written to the left, and the number of plates will be written to the right. Practical part of the Case Study Check-out In Hotel Lamar there are two types to do the check-out and each has its procedures.
The check-out individual, the first type, according to the quality control manual has the following steps.
- Give a good day to the customer approaches the front desk
- Ask the client for a key to prevent it from entering the room without our control
- Ask if he has taken something from the minivan last night
- Ask if he NAS ten car In ten parking
Take his booking documents by check payment In the case of individual check-out there are two three types of settlement o Payment by Credit o Payment by check o Direct payment.
After that the front desk manager can continue with the check-out
- bill and explain it
- Receivable the bill
- Present the While the customer is paying ask if he would like complete a satisfaction survey
- Ask if you need other services such as call taxi or storing luggage
- Say goodbye properly
- Archive documents
In the case of group check-outs the operations are different.
- Make separate customers extra bills
- Check the documentation of the group
- Check if all group customers have already checked-out – need any more service
- Recover keys toads
- Say goodbye to the guide and the group
- Close the master bill
- Ask the guide if he In Lamar Hotel they give a client an opportunity to do the late check-out and it also has its procedures.
If a customer wants to make late check-out receipt must notify the housekeeper when client output. In case the client output is delayed until two hours, is not charged.
- If the client wants to stay hat afternoon we charge 50%.
- If the customer wants to check-out from the 22’ah is charged the full night.
We spoke with receptionists of hotel and we asked “how do they do the check-out” and they give us its own list of steps of this operation.
- Arrival of the client at the front desk
- Demonstration of the need to check-out
- Ask room number or name stayed.
- Reconfirm the nights stay and reconfirm that he want to check-out
- Review of the ailing of night with the reservation documents.
- Review ten changes Della to extras
- Ask if he has consumed any more extra on the last night
- If there is any extra, upload it and charge it.
- Ask for what bill data he want
- Ask if he want to pay by cash or card.
- Ask if he has been good during the stay to receive feed back positive or negative
If the reservation is fully pre-paid and do not need extra billing review, also ask the client about their stay and we would appreciate that you stayed with us. Order In Sum, the restaurant of the Lamar Hotel, there are two different possibilities to take order: First, that the customers order food to takeaway. In this case the waiter will show the customer the 3 offers available, he will point in the commands which the customer decide, and take to the kitchen.
Second, could be a ordinary service. When customers are seated at tables, the waiter in charge of the area shows them the cards and order drinks.
After having served the drinks, the waiter asks the client if he is ready to order, and begins to take order following the rules of the protocol mentioned above. And take to the kitchen. Once the order arrives at the kitchen you have two sectors where leave the order. It depends on the order has been made. If it is for takeaway order is left in the “cold zone” where they are responsible for delivering this kind of food.
But if it is for the table-service is left in the “hot zone” where they prepare all dishes on the menu.
Final steps in the order: In the lounge: The last step of the order, in this and in all restaurants, is the bill. We currently use the first copy, to control everything that is consumed during operation on that table or customer. In the kitchen: The order that remains in the kitchen is used to keep track of expenses, to control the output of dishes,so to know if they have to change some dish from the menu.
Conclusions Front Desk Department
Check-out is a very important and complex process. IT ten snack-out Is manage properly ten customer Is nappy Ana Seattle, Ana tenure are the possibility of his return.
The customer can give good opinion about the hotel. In addition the department has no problems with the issue of money, bills, fees, etc.. If during check-out experience problems, customer can get a little dissatisfied with he service that gives hotel.
In addition, each error during the check-out process may cause problems for front desk department, such as lack or excess money, customers have gone unpaid, unpleasant incidents, etc..
F&B Department The order making process has many steps that have to know to function properly. Take order need some rules. In the kitchen of the Lamar Hotel have different specialization areas, is necessary to differentiate between takeaway orders and table-service orders, and take it the right place. There are different types of orders, each with it’s own function.