Ted Bundy Case

Theodore “TED” BUNDY CASE Theodore “Ted” Bundy, the serial killer that was born as Theodore Robert Cowell, on November 24, 1946 killed between 1973 and 1978. He escaped from county Jail two times before his last apprehension in February 1978.

After so many years of so many denials, he eventually confessed to over thirty murders. Even though the actual number of murder victims is not known. It is estimated that the range of victims is from twenty-six to hundred. The wide-ranging estimate is thirty-five. Bundy would strike all his victims and then strangle them to death.

We Will Write a Custom Case Study Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!

order now

It is said to believe that Ted’s outraged of anger started because of his anger against his family.

According to Ann Rule, Ted’s mother’s madden name was Eleanor Louis Cowell. Around the age of twenty-three she gave birth to Ted out of wed lock at the Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers in Burlington, Vermont. She moved to Vermont from her original home in Philadelphia to give birth to Ted. A short time period after Ted was born he and his mother moved back to Philadelphia where he was told that his grandparents were his parents and his mother was his older sister.

According to A;E Biography of Ted Bundy, Ted’s grandfather had a very bad temper and was known to be very violent and a frightening person. At the age of three Eleanor moved to Tacoma, Washington to move closer to her uncle.

In Tacoma she was known as Louise and was working as a secretary of the church. In Tacoma she also met Johnny Bundy and a year later married him. It was then that Ted got his name Theodore Robert Bundy. Him and his step father never got along and still consider himself as a Cowell. In his teen years, Ted was anti social. He did not date while he was in high school.

He seems to remove himself from school. Students in his school called him shy. At the age of fifteen he had become an expert shoplifter and was a suspect for two burglaries. He was known for being a pippin tom. He would sneak thru the windows of young girls.

It has been suspicions that when Ted Bundy was fifteen he had became a killer. When he was fifteen Ted was a newspaper carrier and in his route live and eight year old girl named Ann-Marie Burr that disappeared. Ted knew Burr because he and she were taking piano classes with his uncle. It is suspected that Bird was his first killer.

Ted graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School and then went on to study at he University of Washington.

While at University of Washington, he worked as a volunteer at the Seattle’s Suicide Hotline where he met his friend, Ann Rule. Also while attending University of Washington he started his relationships with a student by the name Stephanie Brooks in 1967. When Brooks graduated in 1968 she moved back to her hometown in California and ended the relationship with Bundy. Brooks was tired of his immaturity sand lack of ambition. Ted went into a depress mode and dropped out of college.

He then moved back to Burlington, Vermont according to his biography. He then found out that his older sister was his mother. He then felt betrayed. Many studies say that in revenge to Brooks and his mother it was then that All of Bundys victims had many things in common. They were young women with long straight hair and parted in the middle. Most of the young girls were good looking young ladies.

All of his victims resembled his first true girlfriend Stephanie Brooks (Rule). Bundy way of capturing his victims was by being someone or something that he truly was not. Bundy would act as if he is injured and ask for help.

Once he received the help from the young women he would hit them with a tire bar. He would then put them in his car and secure their hands with handcuffs. Bundy drives his victims to wooded areas where he would dump them or if they are still alive he would sexually assault them and then kill them.

After leaving his victims he would sometimes come back and dress them up with makeup. He would also come back and have sex with some of his decayed bodies. As stated previously, is suspected that Bundy started killing in his teen years. After his depress mode in his life Bundy started his spree of murders.

When attending law school at the University of Puget Sound in 1973 females started disappearing.

In January of 1974, rite after midnight, Bundy had entered the basement of Joni Lenz an eighteen Year old girl that was a student at University of Washington. Bundy beat Lenz while she was sleeping with a metal rod of her bed frame. Bundy then sexually assaulted her with a speculum. He then left her there fghting for her life. Lenz survived the attack.

Lynda Ann Healy was his next victim. She was also a student at the University of Washington and was his cousin’s roommate.

On February 1, 1974, Bundy broke into her room and knocked her unconscious. He then dressed her and wrapped her up in a blanket and carried her out. On March 12, 1974, Bundy kidnapped and murdered Donna Gail Manson, a nineteen year old lady that was a student at the Evergreen State College in Olympia. On April 17, 1974, a young woman by the name of Susan Rancourt disappeared from the campus of Central Washington State College in Ellensburg.

Later two students from Central Washington State College would say that they met a guy with a man with his arm in a sling who asked them to help him carry his book to his car.

Kathy Parks was his next victim. Parks was last seen on May 6, 1974 at the campus of Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon. Bundys first victim that was a non- ollege student was never seen again after living The Flames Tavern in Burien on June 1, 1974. Then he murder Georgeann Hawkins on June 11, 1974. She was a student at University of Washington and a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta.

According to roommates she was walking thru an alley and was never seen again. On July 14, 1974, Janice Ott and Denise Naslund were abducted from Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah.

There remains were found on September second. Witnesses say that a man with a cast on his leg approached them and asked to help him and unload his sailboat. Now police had a description of Ted. On July 14, 1974 was Ted’s nd of his Washington killing spree.

Ted then moved to Salt Lake City and attended the University of Utah law school. In Idaho while he was on his way on September second he picked a hitchhiker. He raped her and strangled her to death. Her remains were never found. On October 2, 1974, Nancy Wilcox disappeared from Holladay, Utah. On October 18, 1974, Melissa Smith was murder.

She was the seventeen year death. She was found nine days later. Seventeen year old Laura Aime disappeared when she left a Halloween party on October 31, 1974 in Lehi, Utah. On November 8, 1974, Ted portrayed as an officer of the Murray Police Department. He approached Carol DaRonch at the Fashion Place Mall.

He lied to her telling her someone tried to break into her car and then asked her if she can go with him to the police station. She got into the car and refused to put her seatbelt on. Bundy then pulled over after a little while of driving down the road and attempted to handcuff DaRonch.

After the struggle Bundy attempted to strike her with his crowbar but she stopped it in the air and managed to open the door and escape. About an hour or so later Debby Kent a seventeen year old student of the drama club at Viewmont high School, left during ntermission to go pick up her brother and was never seen again. Later, investigators found a small key that would unlock the handcuffs that were cuffed to Carol DaRonch.

In 1975 Bundy switched his crimes to Colorado. On January 12, 1975, Caryn Campbell disappeared from the Wildwood Inn at Snowmass, Colorado.

Her body was found on February 17, 1975. On March 15, 1975, Bundy approached Julie Cunningham with crutches asking her for help to carry his snow boots to his car. He then clubbed her with his crowbar and immobilized her with handcuffs.

He later strangled her to death. On April 6, 1975, Denise Oliverson disappeared from Grand Junction. On May 6, 1975 twelve year old Lynette Culver went missing. Bundy took her to a room in Holiday Inn where Bundy had a room. He raped her and drowned her.

Susan Curtis went missing in Utah from the campus of Brigham Young University on June 28, 1975.

On August 16, 1975, Bundy was arrested for failure to stop for a police officer in Granger, Utah. After searching his car police found a ski mask, another mask, a crowbar, handcuffs, trash bags, and other items that were thought to be burglary tools. Utah detectives Jerry Thompson connected Bundy and his Volkswagen to the DaRonch kidnapping and the missing girls. After a search of his apartment investigators found a map with the location of the Wildwood Inn marked and a brochure to the drama show at Viewmont High School.

Bundy was put in a line up in front of DaRonch and the Bountiful witnesses and they all pointed Bundy out as the suspect.

Bundy was convicted of kidnapping DaRonch on March 1, 1976 and was sentenced to fifteen years in the Utah State Prison. Preparing for his hearing in the Caryn Campbell murder trial on June 7, 1977, Bundy was transported to the Pitkin County courthouse in Aspen. While on court recess, Bundy was allowed to go to the ourthouse’s law library where he then Jumped out of a two story window and escaped to his freedom. Bundy was out for six days.

He walked to the top of the Aspen Mountains and stole a car. The police noticed a Beetle with dimmed headlights weaving in and out of its lane and pulled the car over.

After noticing who Bundy was the deputies took Bundy back to Jail. While back on custody Bundy was planning another way out. Bundy was being held at the Glenwood Springs, Colorado Jail where he awaited trial. While waiting for his trail Bundy was losing a lot of weight.

On December 23, 1977 the Judged ruled that ocation to Colorado Springs. On December 30, 1977 before being transported out the Greenwood Springs Jail, Bundy decided to make his escape. Bundy crawled out the whole that he made in his ceiling and crawled over a spot directly above the Jail’s linen closet.

He then dropped down into a prison officer’s apartment and walked out the front door. He then made his way to Chicago.

After arriving in Chicago, Bundy then boarded an Amtrak train to Ann Arbor, Michigan. He got a room at the YMCA. On January 2, 1978 he stole a car in Ann Arbor, which then he abandoned in Atlanta, Georgia before he boarded a bus to Tallahassee, Florida. He arrived on January 8, 1978. There he rented a room at a boarding house under his fake name “Chris Hagen” and committed little crimes such as purse snatching, shoplifting, and auto theft. He grew a mustache and drew a mole on his right cheek.

After his arrival in Florida Bundy entered the Florida State Chi Omega sorority on January 15, 1978 around 3 a. m. and killed Lisa Levy and Margaret Bowman. Bundy strangled both but assaulted Levy. Bundy also sexually assaulted and severely injured Karen Chandler and Kathy Kleiner (Chi Omega). Bundy then broke into another home not too far away from the sorority and clubbed and severely njured Florida State University student Cheryl Thomas.

Bundy then traveled to Lake City, Florida on February 9, 1978, where he then abducted twelve year old Kimberly Leach.

On the twelve he stole another beetle and started on his way west across Florida. On February 15, 1978 shortly after 1 a. m. Bundy was pulled over by Officer David Lee. Lee ran the cars tags and the car came back stolen.

After his fght with Lee, Bundy was taken to Jail. According to the movie A Stranger Beside Me, Bundy told Lee that he wishes that he had killed him. The next day a positive finger print was made f Bundy and then was transported back to Tallahassee where he was later charged with the Chi Omega murders.

In July 7, 1979 Bundy went to trial for the sorority killings. Bundy then insisted that on acting as his own attorney and even cross-examine witnesses.

Assistant State Attorney Larry Simpson prosecuted him. Two evidence linked Bundy to murders of the Chi Omegas. First, was a young girl by the name Nita Neary was returning back to the sorority house and saw Bundy leaving the house. The next was Bundys bite mark on Levy’s buttocks. Police took plaster casts of Bundys teeth and a forensics expert atched them to the photographs of Lews bite mark.

Bundy was convicted on all counts and sentenced to death for the murders of Levy and Bowman. In January 1980 Bundy was tried for the murder of Kimberly leach at the Old Orange County Courthouse. Finding fibers in Bundys van that matched Leach’s clothing he again was found guilty of all counts and sentenced to death. During the trial he married his coworker Carole Ann Boone. Bundys execution did not take place until a period of nine years. For nine years, Bundy would appeal his convictions and cheat deaths by a series of last minutes tays, sometimes minutes before his execution.

On January 24, 1989 Ted Bundy was body of Ott and Naslund were found they also found a femur bone and vertebrae, which Bundy admitted before his execution that it belonged to Georgeann Hawkins. Between March 1 and 3 of 1975 the skulls and Jawbones of Healy, Rancourt, Parks and Ball were found on Taylor Mountain. Years later Bundy also admitted to have dumped Donna Manson’s body there. The Bodies of Wilcox, Kent, Cunningham, Culver, Curtis, and Oliverson have never been recovered. Theodore Ted Bundy was pronounced dead at 7:16 a.