Many people have strong views about tipping. Some consider it an optional act of kindness to express appreciation for good service, an additional expense over what they have already paid.
The advantages of tipping are:
1. People consider tipping as customary because the loose change on the counter is a form of gratitude. Also it is a way of customer saying thanks to a partner.
2. That said, we are talking here about someone who has spent all of 40 seconds retrieving for you a hot drink and a muffin. When you agreed to buy the drink and the muffin you did not take into account the plastic-cup shakedown. In short, you can’t help but feel you are being had.
3. The prospect of a tip is, in theory at least, an important incentive for the person working behind the counter of the coffee bar.
4. Income level of some people will be determined by certain level of tipping per hour.
The disadvantage part of tipping is:
1. There in a nutshell is the first problem with tipping: the more discretion you have in the matter the more unpleasant it is. Tipping is an aristocratic conceit.
2. There, in a nutshell, is the second problem with tipping: the less discretion you have in the matter, the more useless it is as an economic incentive. Our natural and admirable reluctance to enter into the spirit of the thing causes the thing to lose whatever value it had in the first place.
3. Perhaps. But you can be surethat our society will not long tolerate the uncertainty of the cup. People will demand to know what is expected of them, one way or the other. Either the dollar in the cup will become a routine that all civilized coffee buyers will endure. Or the tasteful and discreet cup will disappear altogether, in deference to the straightforward price hike.
4. This admirable reticence means that, in our democratic age at least, gratuities are inexorably transformed into something else. Here someone is knocked because she under tips.
5. I feel we are creeping slowly toward a kind of baksheesh economy in which everyone expects to be showered with coins simply for doing what they’ve already been paid to do.
The Consequences of Carnage as Entertainment
Advantages of televisions include the following:
1. Exposure to Carnage as entertainment will lead to civilized society.
2. New inventions cure and news can be known like doctors at Harvard who are gaining on a cure for cancer. To say that our media culture is sick is to vastly understate the dimensions of the virus.
The disadvantage part of Carnage as entertainment is:
1. In all, they found that 61 percent of the programs examined last year contained some violence, roughly the same as the preceding two years.
2. Media violence (“carnage as entertainment” as she calls it) is especially harmful to children, leading to “increased fearfulness, proogressive desensitization, greater appetite for more frequent and more violent programming, and higher levels of aggression.”
3. Carnage as entertainment instills bad behaviors among the young for example Kipland Kinkel, the 15-year-old suspect in the Thurston High School massacre, would have been just another juvenile delinquent in need of counseling. It would never have occurred to him that he could walk into his high school’s cafeteria with a semi-automatic weapon and start squeezing off rounds.
Yes, there in a nutshell is the first problem with tipping: the more discretion you have in the matter the more unpleasant it is. Tipping is an aristocratic conceit and should be avoiding, though some times a way of appreciation to the niece work done. Yes, exposure to Carnage as entertainment will lead to civilized society though Media violence carnage as entertainment” as she calls it is especially harmful to children, leading to increased fearfulness, progressive desensitization, greater appetite for more frequent and more violent programming, and higher levels of aggression.
Some of the reasons I find more compelling are tipping in some people is a form of incentive to work even harder. I also feel we are creeping slowly toward a kind of baksheesh economy in which everyone expects to be showered with coins simply for doing what they’ve already been paid to do. Such merits can either be advantages to a person or disadvantage depending on the situation of a person.