Case Study: Definition, How to Write, Format and Examples
A case study is a type of monographic research, the immediate purpose of which is to analyze the situation arising in the concrete state of affairs and develop a practical solution that consists in evaluating the proposed options and choosing the best one for solving the task.This model is also regarded as a learning system, which is based on the analysis, decision and discussion of situations, both modeled and real.
It is used to solve problems in business and economics.Leading business schools in Europe and USA use the case study as a model of learning. A case study is considered one of the best methods for the development of analytical and critical thinking, as well as creativity. It was first applied in the educational process at Harvard Law School in 1870; the introduction of this method at the Harvard Business School began in 1920.
What is Case Study?
The case is an example taken from the real business, is not just a truthful description of events, but a single information complex that makes it possible to understand the situation.
Today everybody writes cases. This method occupies the third place in the rating of data that influence the decision to purchase. Therefore, the method is one of the most effective tools for attracting customers.A case study allows you to show a product or service in action, to examine it from all sides, to show what problems this product or service helps to solve, and what result can be obtained.With the help of cases, you can demonstrate your expertise: a potential client sees how you cope with professional tasks and believes that you will help solve his problem.
By the way, the correctly written case is one of the most successful variants of content: they are reposted, liked and saved in the bookmarks.A good case, as a rule, has such characteristics:
- the number of words is about 200 – 300;
- corresponds to the clearly stated goal of creation;
- has an appropriate level of difficulty;
- illustrates several aspects of economic/business life;
- actual for today, not obsolete;
- has several solutions;
- illustrates typical situations;
- develops analytical thinking;
- provokes discussion.
How to Write a Case Study: Step-by-Step
- Write a poster for the case. Accompany it with intrigue, so that the reader would be interested in continuing reading.
- Consider the initial data.
Who is the protagonist of the case? It can be, as a person, and a thing or even a natural phenomenon
- Use the classic narrative type of speech. The case is a history from the very beginning. Therefore, to write case studies, it is recommended to choose a classical narrative type of speech, where it is necessary to inform about developing events and about their fulfillment in chronological order and answer the following questions: Who? What was doing? Where? When? How?
- Do not write long introductions. Start immediately to solve the problem! Write what you said, what you did, what difficulties you decided, how much money you spent.
- Name the main participants of the project and thank them.
Customers’ feedback will also be relevant here.
- Build the case so that the reader’s interest gradually increases and in the finale reached a maximum. The strategy of a professional case is a plan, according to which the involvement in the process is growing.
- Do not forget the visual component. Use screenshots and photos of the process.
Take real photos during brainstorming sessions and work discussions, take a picture with the client at the meeting, so as not to turn the narration into a bunch of tables and diagrams.
- A call to action. As a rule, the goal of any case is to push the person to some decision. For example, you can offer to subscribe to your Facebook page, give client’s e-mail, invite to a meeting, or provide an opportunity for free counseling.
Case Study Template
As a rule, the model has a clear structure and consists of the following elements:
The title should be as short as possible, where only the most important results should be displayed.
2. General information
This item should contain information about the client (a description of the person or company with whom you worked), with what problem he addressed. To visualize and confirm the above information, use screenshots, charts, statistics, for example. But before you write this paragraph, coordinate the text with the client so as not to give out someone else’s commercial secret and not destroy the trust between you and the client).
At this point, it is necessary to describe the problem situation that the consumer encountered.
Outline ways to solve the problem. Show what methods you have chosen to achieve the goal
5. What was done
This section should be 2-3 paragraphs, where it is about how your product or service solved the problems of your client.
In this section, in 2-3 paragraphs, you need to specify how your product or service affected a person or company and also helped in achieving goals. It is desirable to use real data.
Summarize the results in terms of customer benefits; if the plans are indicated, then tell us about the client’s future plans.
Thanks to this you will be able to demonstrate your professionalism and show that the client is satisfied with your work and wants to do something else with your help. Do you know how to cite a case study?
H5: Topic and Examples
One woman created toilet water, but she did not have the funds for a high-quality presentation and advertising of her goods. So she offered it on her own, traveling around Europe and looking at different stores. Once she was in the gallery Lafayette, but the manager did not want to buy anything. But woman turned out to be a creative person, with the help of one action she convinced not only the manager as his spirits but also visitors to the gallery.
Task: What Exactly Did The Heroine Of The Story Do?Answer: She took a bottle of toilet water from her purse and smashed it on the floor of the gallery. The scent was so popular with visitors that in time the world recognized and fell in love with the brilliant creations of Este Lauder. You can find more case study examples.